Thursday, April 29, 2010

Garlic Mashed Potatoes.


So here's the story: Last night my mother says "Tomorrow, I'm making ham and potatoes." My dad, being snarky, says "Why don't you make them into garlic mashed potatoes, Britt?" and so I did, much to the chagrin of my mother, who thought she was making dinner tonight.

While looking for a guide for proportions rather than a recipe, I racked my brain and figured Paula Deen would be my best bet for mashed potatoes. Considering she's the woman the regularly cooks with lard, I figure home-food is her forte.

Man, was I right.

Slightly altered;
Ingredients:
6 Medium Sized Red/Gold Potatoes
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 a stick of butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
Up to 3 tbsp. whole milk/heavy cream/half&half/or even two percent milk
Salt and Pepper
Chives or Parsley for garnish

Directions: Peel and chop your potatoes into fourths. Place them in salted boiling water, cook for about 15 minutes. Strain into a colander then place back into the pot. add the garlic, butter, and sour cream. Mash with a masher or a fork until well blended. Add a metric ton or salt and pepper, because who wants starchy unsalted potatoes? Add the dairy(I used heavy cream and it was AWESOOOME with three o's) one tablespoon at a time until the consistency is what you want. Obviously the more you add, the more pureed it will get.

Serve immediately with a bit of salt, pepper, and parsley on top (or chives if you have them, because they're wonderful)

The only word to describe these is Mmmnhgghh.

1 comment:

Baba said...

Mmm Mmm Mmm!

Honey-child, you are now speakin' my language - 3 Tbsp of HC!

My mashed potatoes are enough to cause an instant coronary - I use loads of salt, butter and heavy cream. They are only made on special occasions for that reason.

I've never made them with minced garlic. I've boiled the potatoes with cloves of garlic, but it doesn't give enough of a garlicky POW for me. I'll have to try adding minced garlic next time.

BTW - Lovin your blog!