Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cooking for noobs: Carrots!





So everyone knows that carrots are fabulous for your eyes and well-being. But a lot of people (like myself) aren't big fans of plain carrots. They need a little flavor, raw or cooked. When raw, I'd go with some light ranch, but this is not a raw food blog, it is a cooking blog! So here's how to cook awesome carrots. (Flavors adapted from Jamie Oliver's website.)

Ingredients:
As many carrots as you want.
1 Medium orange, quartered
1 clove garlic, unpeeled
1 handful fresh parsley
1-2 tbsp dried(or fresh) rosemary

Directions:
1. Boil a pot of water while you peel your carrots, quarter your orange, etc.
2. Put everything in together once the water is boiled, stirring occasionally.


3. When the carrots are soft, strain out the water. transfer the carrots to a plate. Unpeel the garlic (It probably is already) and mash it up, then spread it over the carrots. Take a few springs of the parsley and do the same. Take an orange quarter and squeeze anything in it onto the carrots.
4. Serve immediately, because these get cold fast.

Note: You can also mash the carrots after you boil them, but only if you like purees.
These get a pretty strong rosemary flavor over anything else, which I think is quite lovely.

2 comments:

Baba said...

I am NOT a lover of carrots. My sisters always ate them raw, they make me gag - same with raw potatoes.

I have, on occasion, eaten carrots simmered in brown sugar, spices, and orange juice. Yummy - as far as carrots go.

Mardell said...

Mmm, this sounds good. I don't mind plain carrots (hated them as a child tho.) I like this recipe. Thanks! Have you ever had parsnips? I haven't, & have always been interested in trying them. They're basically a white carrot, only sweeter.